Monday, January 12, 2009

"3,776 of 3,821 People Found the Following Review Helpful"

A satarist takes over "The Secret" Amazon.com reviews thread. At first, the writer poses as just another one of the millions of people affected by the self-help book, and you think you're reading another glowing recommendation. Then he talks about being in prison, and how the book saved him from being raped by his fellow inmate. Then he mentions the real "secret" to the book (hint: it's not the actual words).

Starting with chapter six there was a cavity carved into the book and in that cavity was a prison shiv. This particular shiv was a toothbrush with a handle that had been repeatedly melted and ground into a razor sharp point.

The next day in the exercise yard I carried "The Secret" with me and when Marcus approached me I opened the book and stabbed him in the neck. The next eight weeks in solitary confinement provided ample time to practice positive visualization and the 16 hours per day of absolute darkness made visualization about the only thing that I actually could do. I'm not sure that everybody's life will be changed in such a dramatic way by this book but I'm very thankful to have found it and will continue to recommend it heartily.


Whole magilla here, along with 20 odd pages of "shiv" joke comments.

I've been waiting for the rest of Amazon.com to catch up to the densely ironic product reviews of anything by Tao Lin.

Hat tip: Max Berde.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember when Dave Eggers challenged people to do bizarre reviews of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I think Amazon figured it out and started deleting them. Maybe now they've grown so massive that they no longer have time to care or notice.