Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The AquaDOME

The aquadome is funny because it's a tourist trap aquarium in Berlin- one of the least tourist trappy places I've ever been. The aduadome is a sphere of glass filled with fish and coral and sharks and this one HUUUUGE ugly fish and an elevator. The elevator is the big surprise. "Is four floor only baby starfish? Because I want to go to there," I said to the elevator operatorlady. She told me there were no floors. It's like "a submarine," that is also "an elevator." You just go "down" and then "up." Like a Disneyland water ride for grandpas.

The aquadome elevator is pretty sweet, though, I gotta say. While ascending to the top of the aquarium, a little boy stole an umbrella from the man next to me and used it to poke my butt. Then a man on the other side of me spoke in Turkish. The lady on the mic responded in German, and I stared at my very very english thoughts and said "fuck" to myself. Nobody understood.

The aquadome sits in the foyer of a hotel. Behind the glass and water are beige doors with gold numbers and windows with their blinds shut and leftover room service food sitting on the floor. If you combine the images of the doors and windows and fish and room service it looks like you're watching some terrible disney movie about rich fish who stay at the Marriott. Oop! There's the ugly big fish again! He's the ate-too-much-room-service-fish. I'm ready to leave now.

No comments: