Sunday, April 5, 2009

First Day of Summer!

"Open my windows so you can see God's glorious light," said my car. "And do it now!" I pressed down on all the window buttons at the same time while driving down a hill towards Magneson beach. The windows were stuck, they wouldn't roll down. I had been, essentially, driving in a hermetically-sealed coffin filled with dust, an old can of Yoo-Hoo, and, occasionally, people other than me. "Ffffttt," the windows said as they tried to disengage from the ceiling. "Fttttttt!" they said again as I continued to hold down the buttons. And then, all of a sudden, they were down.

Ahhh. Air. And the sun shining gloooooriously into my eyes. The wane of the air-conditioning dissipated and I could hear life, people yelling, butterflies a-flappin, Americaflags a-wavin (Helloooo Laurelhurst!). "Beep beep! Are you there, Sunshine? It's me...Mr. Pasty Face. Are you gonna make me hella tired?"

Magnason beach was a sight to behold. Bald man pushing baby in stroller. Grown baby pushing grandmother in wheelchair. Yappy dog defending picnic table. Women debating with her friend about the benefits of Green-Tea-infused drinks. People, people, people. I knew you existed before, but now you're all jumpy and in my face.

It was essential I escape from my cell phone, my ipod, everything. I threw them into the car, practically shaking my coat off of me. I thought "leave me alone." It had become a matter of life and death...I wouldn't hear a word more from anyone. For the next hour, it was about the twinkling water, the snowcone mountains, enduring uncomfortable pebblewalking for the hell of it, and not slipping on algae slime or stepping in Goose poop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In summers you need air condioners, Domestic air conditioning can be easily maintained at your home, Cleaning of domestic air conditioning is very easy and essential to make it working properly, to remove dust from air comditioning duct you may also take help of the air conditioning maintenance and service providers.

anna.roth said...

this makes me ache for Seattle more than anything has in a while. i miss spring terribly. nicely done.