Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dept. of City Marketing

This video made me laugh. It's part of an advertising campaign for Upstate South Carolina, and it really undersells the region at the beginning of the clip. "When my parents told me we were moving to the upstate of South Carolina" says the teenage girl interviewed for the clip. "I pretty much assumed my life was over."

The girl goes on to talk about how she thought South Carolina would have "one room schoolhouses" and thinks aloud "what would I have in common with those kids?" The girl also figured "I wouldn't have a social life."

Thankfully, the girl was "blown away" when she actually started school in upstate South Carolina. And this is basically the theme of the entire advert campaign, where residents talk about how much they thought South Carolina would suck, before they make the vague recommendation that the city "blows them away." How, exactly the city blows people away is a good question. According to the video...Because it has a fountain? A restaurant? A couple human beings?

I wonder how the residents of upstate south carolina feel about some ad execs from new york coming into their town and creating an ad campaign that (before the pitch) kinda shits on their town.

And that voice over: actress or realperson? Discuss.

1 comment:

(egg) said...

HA! Weird. I just got back from "The Upstate" last night except I didn't know it was called "The Upstate" while I was there. Oh, if wishes were horses ...