Thursday, June 5, 2008

Congratulations, Wild Waves, On Your 30th birthday!



Seattle's favorite place to swim and try to avoid floating band-aids is now more than three decades old!

I almost forgot you existed, Wild Waves, what with all your lack of roller coaster construction, marketing, and expansion. But, since we're on the topic, I'd like to share a few memories of the times I've spent with you.

There was the time I had a small birthday party with you, and I couldn't tell if one of your lifeguards was drunk, and then wondered if drunk lifeguards could still potentially swim and save my life if need be. There was the other time I went on the ring of fire ride, you know the big loop-de-loop that goes upside down over and over again, and I almost fell into the cage surrounding the train (because, at wild waves, if you have weak ankles or feet, you can't expect to remain in a secure seating position on a ride that goes upside down). Then there was the time I was on your water rapids ride and some little runt careened into me with her inner tube and the rest of the day smelled like chlorine and tasted like salt.

I could get lost in your park, and almost forget I was three feet from a major freeway! Well, when I was ten I could do that.

What are you, anyway, these days? You're not a six flags, you're not a locally-owned park, you've changed your logo like 10 times in the past five minutes. What's your deal? I'm on your website right now and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the fuck is a "disco flashback boogie woogie ride"? Can someone fill me in here?

Oh, and in celebration of band-aid filled swimming pools, check out this video of a japanese wave pool:

No comments: