Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Apartment

I just moved into a place on Capitol Hill. I had a what the fuck moment when I walked in today, after all the paperwork had been filled out. I was grabbing the jacket hooks, rubbing them against my fingers, caressing the kitchen tile. "Mine," I said aloud to no one and everyone, in the voice of a three-year old.

I opened the screens, then shut them, then opened them again. I felt like Annette Benning in American Beauty, except I wasn't crying or slapping myself in the face.

Then, reality hit: I had no furniture, and I was very hungry and completely alone.

I left the apartment building and bought a "cup of noodles" at a dingy convenience store. Then I brought it home and realized I had no pot to boil water. I filled the cup with warm tap water, let it sit for three minutes, and then ate the limp, salty, crunchy noodles. Then I read the ingredients (always a risk) and felt bad about myself and the life choices I make.

I made a bed with a mattress pad and a comforter, and laid clothes on the ground next to it, so that my arms wouldn't touch the hardwood floor. The floor was sticky. A moth with a gigantic body flew into my lamp and danced around fluttering in my face. "Blahhk," I whined. "EAHHehh."

Outside, I could hear someone singing opera, and a man yelling "fuck you asshole!"

Even though I've lived in the city for 18 years, I've never felt so much a part of it.

"This is my home now," I thought to myself. "Those are my neighbors and this is my home."

I fell asleep, then woke up because my back hurt and drove to my parent's house where I fell asleep again in my mother's bed (she had gone to work) and woke up about 1 hour ago. Now I'm just confused about my life.

4 comments:

Thea said...

aww it's like the young innocent who moves to the big bad city ;) except it's seattle :D buy a mattress though :P xxx

Michael Strangeways said...

If you need a free desk, there's a pretty cool one at the curb at 16th and Denny...it was still there as of 5pm yesterday.

Steven Blum said...

Thank you, I'll go look!

Unknown said...

I'm constantly amazed by hotness that does not know how to work its hotness.

Dude, have a housewarming. I'll fucking GIVE you a bunch of pots and pans.