Monday, February 11, 2008

The Violence of Waves

I desperately want to go to bayworld. This is bayworld. There are dolphins and other things there that jump in the air. That's all I really care about in life; animals jumping in the air. I don't really care what kind of animal it is, as long as it's in the air. Dolphins. Tigers. Pigeons. I'm easily impressed by flight.

But fucking (anonymous group member) failed to tell me they were going to Bayworld last weekend.

"Oh, we thought you were asleep" said anonymous person.

"Well. I wasn't asleep. And if I was, you should have woken me up. God, do you even know who I am?"

I'd put Bayworld on a pinnacle for a while. It's really the only tourist attraction in all of Port Elizabeth; the only place where you can see the fun, fresh, flirty, aquatic side of Port Elizabeth (unless you wanted to surf....yawn). Bayworld Bayworld Bayworld! I'd had dreams about it. It sounded like Baywatch!

I hadn't had very good experiences with the water in PE, and Bayworld sounded like the antitode. The beaches in PE are lovely, they really are, I mean they're sandy and everything, but the waves are just too much.

I remember when I first came here, and everyone piled into the sea. We were all just so happy to be away from Seattle weather, and the water looked so beautiful, so inviting. I ventured out a good 50 feet from the shore with them.

Then, just as I'm enjoying the beautiful beautiful scenery...crash! Boom! Gurgle! I'm under a wave, in the water, staring at someone's feet.

"Shannon!" I scream.

"Hi, Steven." She's standing right next to me, drenched and smiling, holding her boyfriend Luke in her arms.

"What the fuck was that?"

"A wave."

"Yes, I know. I understand. Duh. Are your ears ringing? I don't think I can see through my own eyes."

"I feel fine," she said, and then looked into Luke's eyes. They were having a moment. Uch.

Overdramatic? Yes, but my head hurt. My body hurt. My blood hurt.

I put my sunglasses back over my eyes, and trudged through the water as fast as I could, afraid I'd get submerged again. Water poured down the inside of my sunglasses and stung my eyes more. I closed them. When the water became shallower, I started running...blind. I could have hit a pole, or a rock. Chas Vechalila I didn't (that's yiddish...suck it).

So, I still want to experience the joy of water, and all of those wonderful animals that live in it. I'd just like to be sitting down and watching other people falling into water, crashing into water, getting salt water in their ears...because it's not exactly my idea of fun.

No comments: