Friday, February 15, 2008

I've Memorized The Order of Every Shitty Song That Plays In This Shitty, Shitty Hotel

I'm guessing people on the internets who are reading this blog have had at least two shitty jobs in the food, hospitality management or hotel industry.

So you know about muzak... the mix of mild and inoffensive songs, some old, some new, hastily thrown together and played in a space to improve the overall atmosphere.

I've experienced muzak in supermarkets, cafes, elevators, lobbies, everywhere. But never, ever have I stayed long enough in any of those places to memorize the order of every shitty shitty song that plays.

That is, until now.

I'm sitting in Garden Court, a nice hotel in Port Elizabeth, checking email and trying to think of things to write on here. And the music just keeps coming. It's like a relentless stream of shit.

"Sweet Escape" by Gwen Stefani

"Talk to me" by some beezee, not sure who, and now I know the song that comes next will be....

"Body is a Wonderland" by John Mayer

It's like being trapped in a romantic comedy, except no one is laughing and everyone is crying.

No comments: