Sunday, February 3, 2008

Monkeys and Bad Techno Music

Yesterday, my friends and I met up with some of the college kids at Nelson Mandela University. We talked about politics, about Jacob Zuma and Thambo Mbeki, and then we ate hot dogs and danced in a field.

The field stretched between the two campuses of Nelson Mandela University, near a wild habitat where monkeys are regularly spotted. The monkeys are apparently safe, as long as you don't fuck with them. They are the South African equivient to our squirrels, except our squirrels don't climb into our windows and eat our food and poke us on the back when we're sleeping (this happened to one of the students I spoke with). Also- we aren't closely related to squirrels.

Let me tell you: to dance in a field, to bad techno music, with tons of people you don't know, in the middle of the day, is totally sublime.

I tried to ironically whip out some interpretive dancing to liven things up. As usual, people thought I was insane.

No comments: