Monday, January 28, 2008

Conversation Between Me and a Teenage Boy at Walmer Township High School

Me: Hey what's your name?

Internal monologue: That's not your real voice. Talk in your high voice! What, are you intimidated by a high school student? You're in college. College. Really...

Boy: Richard

Me: Nice to meet you, Richard.

Richard: You, too. You have a girlfriend?

Internal monologue: Shit fuck.

Me: Uh nope.

Richard: But you've had girlfriends before?

Internal monologue: Oh my god oh my god oh my god what do I say? I'm a gay? Or do I just go with this? High School flashback High School flashback High School flashback. Well, don't just stand there! Say something!

Me: Oh. Uh. Yeah. I had a girlfriend. 

Internal monologue: You had a girlfriend? No you did not have a girlfriend. I can't believe those words just came out of your mouth. Those words haven't come out of your mouth in years. You're a gay, a big flaming gay. Gay gay gay gay gay gay gay. Tell him you have a boyfriend! Lie! Take it back! 

Richard: Ah ok. 

Me: Well it was nice to meet you.

Richard: You, too.

Internal monologue: Next time, you're gay, Mr. I'm Not Gay. And stop using that weird deep voice that isn't yours. 

2 comments:

Mr. Poe said...

They sure like to talk about girlfriends.

MrSullivan said...

That was cute. As a teacher, I've been in similar situations. Sometimes you have to give kids more credit.